There are many ways to build a lightsaber, and countless addresses to buy one. A simple and inexpensive way to do this is to convert a MagLite torch. We have developed our very own method to keep it as robust and stage-ready as possible. Here we show you how it works!
Have fun building and fighting!
- Maglite 3C
- Blade holder for Maglite 3C
- 3,7V 18650 Li-Ion or Li-Po battery
- CREE High Power LED - RGB (3W)
- Heat sink ⌀ 28,5mm
- Connector for Battery (2 pole)
- Connector for LED (4 pole)
- High power resistors 5W
- Heat conductive sticky pad
- Instant glue
- Shrink tube
- Thermal paste
- Heat sink module for better protection of the lens (optional, available here)
- Soldering iron
- Braid 0,25mm2
- Electrical tape
- Diagonal cutter
- Torx Screwdriver T8
- Drill 3mm (+ drilling machine / cordless screwdriver)
Before you start, you should calculate the series resistors of the LEDs.
1. Maglite disassembly
1.1 First unscrew the reflector and the end cap. Then remove the rubber protection from the switch.
1.2 Next, loosen the locking screw of the switch with a Torx T8 screwdriver.
It can happen that the screwdriver on the shaft is too thick and has to be ground down. Sometimes a T6 screw may also be present.
1.3 Now carefully slide the switch backwards and remove the spring ring at the front.
1.4 Loosen the screw in the switch and remove the bulb socket.
1.5 Secure the switch with some electrical tape. Then remove the brown part with the diagonal cutter.
1.6 After removing the contact spring, secure the switch lengthwise.